Thorough planning is the key to any successful move.
With so many decisions to make, and details to remember, the following checklist will help you to get organized
initially. There have been various articles written about the process of moving, most of which agree that moves generally take 8 to 10 weeks from start to finish. So start as soon as possible.
Print out the form and let it work for you.
8 Weeks Before the Move.
- Call for estimates from at least 3 insured professional movers.
- Draw a floor plan of your new home using graph paper. Layout out your furniture on the floor plan and determine which will fit and what you will need to purchase.
- Ask your Realtor® to have a "residential information packet" sent to you on your new town.
6 Weeks Before the Move.
- Inventory all possessions now. Decide what to move, sell, replace or donate to charity.
- Take care of all change of address forms, mail to media, stores, organizations.
- If you have children, make arrangements for record transfers between schools and doctors on both ends of the move.
- Itemize moving related costs with mover including packing, loading, special charges, insurance, etc.
4 Weeks Before the Move.
- Repair, send out for re-upholstery, or clean furniture, drapes, carpeting as necessary.
- Having a garage/yard sale to dispose of unneeded items can greatly help your move.
- If a professional mover is packing your goods, schedule packing days 1 or 2 days before the move.
- If you move yourself, order adequate boxes, packing materials, tape now.
- Arrange for short-term or long-term storage if you will need it.
- Make travel arrangements for pets, including necessary medical records, immunizations, etc.
3 Weeks Before the Move.
- Assemble sufficient supply of packing materials, equipment.
- Pack items you won't use immediately or that will go into storage and LABEL THEM.
- Contact utilities on both ends of the move, order termination or turn-on for occupancy date.
- Confirm all travel arrangements.
2 Weeks Before the Move.
- Prepare auto for trip to new home. Check tires, oil and have car serviced before the move.
- Cancel/transfer newspaper and other delivery services.
- Confirm new bank accounts by phone and in writing.
- If you are purchasing or moving appliances, schedule a service firm for moving day to prepare major appliances for the move.
1 Week Before the Move.
- Gather important papers, records, valuables for protected shipment to new home or safe deposit box.
- Notify friends and neighbors of new address, (and phone number if possible).
- Make plans for young children to be cared for on moving day. You will need every minute for the move.
- Fill any necessary prescriptions, medications needed for the next several weeks.
Day Before the Move and MOVING DAY!
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer. Give away all food in both units.
- Plan simple meals for moving day (or take out food) to avoid using the refrigerator.
- Pick up cash for your trip and for the mover's invoice (if required).
- Pack items you need to take with you including valuables, financial records, personal papers.
- Pack signed bill of lading and inventory where they can be easily reached at your destination.
- Give the mover a telephone number and address where you can be reached in your new town.